on Fri, August 23, 2013 at 08.48 pm
Inclusive and Sustainable Development: Perspectives from Europe and Central Asia on the Post-2015 Development Agenda
Preceding Civil Society Consultation: Wed, 6 November 2013 (Click here to view the agenda)
Start date: Thu, 7 November 2013
End date: Fri, 8 November 2013
Place: Istanbul, Turkey
Conference Venue: Dedeman Hotel
Note: the multi-stakeholder panels are in formation; updated on 5 November 2013.
Updated on 16 October 2013
The Regional Consultation on the Post-2015 Development Agenda “Inclusive and Sustainable Development: Perspectives from Europe and Central Asia on the Post-2015 Development Agenda” will be held on 7 and 8 November 2013 in Istanbul, Turkey.
The high-level event is hosted by the Ministry of Development of Turkey and organized in partnership with the United Nations Development Group and the Regional Coordination Mechanism.
The post-2015 framework will shape development efforts for many years. The diverse region of Europe and Central Asia encapsulates many of the global challenges. It is therefore crucial that this region makes a thoughtful contribution to the process of formulating the post-2015 agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Taking forward the decisions of the UN General Assembly’s Special Event on the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) (New York, 25 September 2013), the Regional Consultation provides a timely opportunity to identify regional priorities for the post-2015 UN development agenda and discuss how these priorities can become part of a coherent global framework. The event also aims to review regional experiences and lessons learned from the MDGs, spearhead ways to deepen regional cooperation, and review proposals for measurement of sustainable development in the context of the post-2015 development agenda.
The Regional Consultation will be a multi-stakeholder event, bringing together representatives from governments, international organizations, civil society, the private sector, academia and media. The meeting will feature a series of thematic panel discussions and conclude with an open forum that will identify regional priorities for the post-2015 agenda and formulate the regional contributions to the global debate.
The meeting will be preceded by a civil society consultation.
Inputs and related work streams
- UN Development Group’s national and global thematic consultations on the post-2015 development agenda
- Report of the High-level Panel of Eminent Persons on the Post-2015 Development Agenda
- Work of the Open Working Group on Sustainable Development Goals
- Post-2015 vision for Europe and Central Asia currently being formulated by the UN System in the region
- Civil society consultation
- UNICEF youth consultation
Ministry of Development of Turkey (host), in cooperation with the UN Development Group for Europe and Central Asia and the Regional Coordination Mechanism, led by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE)
Conference Background Documents
Documents from the Consultation
- Perspectives from Europe and Central Asia on the Post-2015 Development Agenda: Key Messages from Discussions
Presentations and Speeches
Wednesday, 6 November 2013
Thursday, 7 November 2013
- audio recording
- 09:15-09:45 - Kick off session: Main conclusions of the Civil Society Consultation 6th of November 2013
- 10:00-11:00 - Official Opening
- Ms. Cihan Sultanoglu: CS Statement for Regional Consultation Istanbul Opening Session 7 November 2013.pdf
- Mr. Sven Alkalaj: ES Statement for Regional Consultation Istanbul Opening Session 7 November 2013.pdf
- Mr. Kadir Topbas: TR-Kadir Topbas speech.pdf
- H.E. Cevdet Yilmaz: TR-Cevdet Yilmaz Speech.pdf, EN-Cevdet Yilmaz Speech.pdf
- 11:15-12:15 - Voices on the Post-2015 Agenda: Equality, Accountability and Sustainability
- 12:15-13:45 - Panel 1: Health and Social Protection
- 14:45-16:30 - Panel 2: Education and Decent Jobs
- Mr. Jan Van Ravens: Istanbul Decent Jobs Session Jan van Ravens.pdf
- 16:45-18:15 - Panel 3: Population Dynamics and Migration
- Mr. Wolfgang Lutz: Panel#3 _ Post-2015-Istanbul-Lutz.pdf
- Mr. Soren Feldbaek Winther: presentation Soren Winther Denmark Istanbul 2013 final - population dynamics.pdf
Friday, 8 November 2013
- audio recording
- 08:45-09:30 - Side event: "Breaking the Duality Trap"
- H.E. Mr. Ertuğrul Apakan: 2013_03_UNDP_MDGpost2015_Istanbul.pdf
- 09:30-11:00 - Panel 4: Natural Resources, Sustainable Consumption and Production, and Green Cities
- Mr. Joachim Spangenberg: Joachim_Spangenberg short.pdf
- Ms. Luminita Ghita: Challenges and future opportunies for SCP_Luminita Ghita_regional conference Istanbul final ok.pdf
- Mr. Murat Sungur Bursa: MURAT SUNGUR BURSA.pdf
- Mr. Nikolai Bobylev: 2013 Bobylev-UN Turkey - post MDG urban agenda.pdf
- 11:30-13:00 - Panel 5: Making the New Agenda Work
- 14:00-15:30 - Panel 6: The Power of Measurement: New Forms of Monitoring Progress in Sustainable Development
- 17:30-18:00 - Closing Remarks